Best Practices for Crime Gun Intelligence
In our experience working closely with the ATF and CGIC units across the country, we recognize that there are four key components involved in an evidence-based approach to solving gun crime. These include:
CHALLENGES FOR TRADITIONAL GUN CRIME MANAGEMENT
Prioritizing and Tracking NIBIN Leads
Manually inputting a large volume of NIBIN leads is time-consuming and error-prone
Processes to determine linkages across associated cases are inefficient
No systematic way to prioritize and track case assignments, workflows, and follow-ups across siloed applications
Limited operational insight, reporting, and actionable feedback to share with stakeholders
BEST PRACTICES IN ACTION
ShotSpotter GCM Solves the
Most Common Challenges in Shooting Cases
ShotSpotter GCM (Gun Crime Management) helps law enforcement solve many of the challenges they face. Adhering to core CGIC principles, ShotSpotter GCM makes it easier to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders as well as capture and quantify key information needed for a successful outcome.
- Build stronger cases by identifying underlying relationships with link analysis
- Prioritize and track NIBIN leads to solve gun-related crimes
- Strengthen collaboration among the investigative team and crime gun analysists
- Report on needed statistics to grant providers (e.g. BJA)
- Generate feedback for all involved parties (patrol, investigators, analysts, etc.), providing greater transparency across the agency
- Gun Incidents – including collecting basic ground truth information for shooting, evidence tracking of firearms or ballistics
- NIBIN Import – scans an IBIS NIBIN Lead report and associates the information back to the GCM case folder including associated prior incidents
- Operational Insight – shares gun crime trends and statistics with key stakeholders and allows for generation of monthly reporting to help in fulfilling BJA requirements
- Link Analysis – visually sees how this gun crime incident relates to other cases and the people, vehicles, and locations associated with them
- ShotSpotter RespondTM Integration – allows for quick GCM case creation from a Respond alert
- Dashboard reports quickly inform users through display of graphs, charts, and pin maps.
- Operational reports provide detailed lists of incidents and events and allow the user to drill into the details.
- Report widgets can be easily added to the interface to provide snippets of information and keep key indicators front and center.
- Link analysis shows how various GCM cases, ballistics leads, firearms, suspects and incidents are related either within the same agency or to outside agencies.
- Runs on AWS GovCloud, which is CJIS, FedRAMP, ISO 27001, SOC2, SOC3, and DoD SRG certified
- Multi-factor authorization (MFA) is mandated for all users
- Compliant with 28 CFR Part 23
- Each user has a system inbox to send and receive messages and alerts.
- The system can also alert users via text and email about new assignments and pending or overdue action items.
- Supervisors can perform case reviews and automatically trigger notifications about case status and any new tasks.
- The system automatically notifies the investigative team when leads are added to a case.