- Improve clearance rates to reduce crime and reduce repeat offenders
- Enhance communications with crime victims and witnesses to better serve and protect
- Strengthen collaboration among the investigative team for better efficiency
- Create transparency that builds trust with the community with Internal Investigations and Professional Standards reporting
- Optimize caseload to improve detective performance and job satisfaction
- Ensure Tips and Leads receive proper follow-up and never slip through the cracks
- Enable management insight into investigations and improve organizational intelligence
- Build stronger cases identify underlying relationships with link analysis
- Illustrate lengthy investigation timelines and case chronology
- Leverage NIBIN lead management to solve gun-related crimes
The system centers around 4 key components:
- Incidents – provides for field-based reporting of events, field intelligence, tips, complaints and management of property and evidence associated with those incidents.
- Investigations – includes all the functionality and workflow to follow-up on crime related incidents with in-depth investigations.
- Intelligence – allows agencies to collect and disseminate intelligence, monitor criminal enterprises and groups such as narcotics rings, domestic terror groups, crime gangs, and manage confidential informants − all in conformance with national standards.
- Interactions – provides integrated Citizens Portal web pages that work with an agency’s existing website to keep the community better informed and allow citizens to submit complaints, tips, and leads.
The company offers ShotSpotter Respond, unique gunshot detection technology that enables law enforcement to proactively address gun violence and arrive at a scene within minutes, saving lives and building community trust in the process.
ShotSpotter also offers ShotSpotter Connect, patrol management software that strategically directs patrol units on a shift-by-shift basis to the areas of highest crime risk based on AI-driven analysis. The service also gives command staff better information about the location and activities of their patrol resources.
In the last few years, ShotSpotter has taken its market-leading gunshot detection technology and adapted it to help protect America’s campuses and universities with SecureCampus as well as corporations, government buildings, hospitals and highways with SiteSecure.
When it comes to case management, RMS systems don’t measure up to what an effective detective squad needs to efficiently handle complex, confidential investigations in an organized and automated manner.
Most agencies are not aware of the significant advancements in case management tools available today. ShotSpotter Investigate is designed as a fully automated solution, and the platform’s collaboration, analytics and reporting tools help detectives move investigations forward.
Furthermore, with ShotSpotter Investigate, no third-party systems are needed. A prosecutor can grab a case from within the platform. Additionally, permissions can be configured for external users, such as an outside agency you may be collaborating with on a certain case.
With built-in capabilities including case chronology, link analysis, tip corroboration and more, ShotSpotter Investigate streamlines the investigator’s workflow to provide the most efficient and effective process for solving a case.
RMS systems are often intended for crime reporting and initial data collection. RMS systems most often do not support the complete investigative processes and workflows that are very time intensive and require substantial data and information collection.
- Dashboard reports quickly inform users through display of graphs, charts, and pin maps
- Operational reports provide detailed lists of incidents and events and allow the user to drill into the details
- Report widgets can be easily added to the interface to provide snippets of information and keep key indicators front and center
While ShotSpotter is best known for its gunshot detection service, this new system helps manages all types of situations, including:
- Internal affairs investigations
- Use of Force investigations
- Intelligence investigations that meet stringent data retention and security policies
- General offense case management
- Gang and Organization management
With that said, ShotSpotter Investigate also integrates with ShotSpotter Respond, and ShotSpotter Respond customers can leverage the platform’s NIBIN lead management to help assist in gun crimes
- The service is run on AWS GovCloud, which is CJIS, FedRAMP, ISO 27001, SOC2, SOC3, and DoD SRG certified
- Multi-factor authorization (MFA) is mandated for all users
- Compliant with CFR 28 Part 23
Agencies can configure the system to meet their organization’s needs. Components can be enabled ordisabled by agency administrators and they also control role-based permissions to define the functionality and data each end user may access.
Components can be restricted to particular users and groups ensuring confidential information always stays secure and cannot be viewed or disseminated by unauthorized users.
- Each user has a system inbox to send and receive messages and alerts
- The system can also alert users via text and email about new assignments and pending or overdue action items
- Supervisors can perform case reviews and automatically trigger notifications about case status and any new tasks
- The system automatically notifies the investigative team when new tips or leads are added to a case
- Detectives can publish wanted posters, and even offer rewards, on the Citizen Portal website and get automatic notifications when a citizen submits a tip related to their case.
Investigate offers easy integrated access to a growing list of third-party tools that are popular with law enforcement investigators including Whooster (locate and identify persons of interest) and FirstTwo (visual, map-based intelligence gathering including social media).Although the subscriptions to the third-party services are not part of the Investigate subscription, the access to these systems is built into the main Investigate application without need of bringing up (or even logging in depending on the service) a separate tab or window.