PLAY KEY ROLE IN
FIGHTING GUN VIOLENCE
Ensuring the Protection and Safety of Citizens
Gun Violence Impact is Multi-Faceted
KEY PROBLEM IS UNDER-REPORTED GUNFIRE
Gunfire is vastly under-reported. Nearly eight out of ten times when someone fires a gun, the police never respond, because they are unaware of an incident.
LACK OF INTELLIGENCE IS DANGEROUS
When police don’t arrive at the scene of the crime, it continues to fuel a negative perception about law enforcement, enabling a “police don’t really care” attitude.
CHRONIC GUNFIRE SUPPRESSES ECONOMIC VITALITY
Property values can decline substantially and business owners begin to move out, cutting jobs, and limiting employment opportunities for residents who need work.
RESIDENTS PAY HIGH PHYSICAL AND MENTAL TOLL
Research shows that people, particularly children, in "high-gunfire" areas are more likely to suffer from psychological problems, including PTSD.
ShotSpotter Helps Reduce Gun Crime
- ShotSpotter cities experience an average 35% decrease in gunfire incident volume in the first two years of use.
- ShotSpotter enables police to receive real-time alerts of gunfire and no longer be totally dependent on 911 calls for notification.
- Many cities and law enforcement agencies rely on ShotSpotter as a critical component of their gun violence reduction strategy.
Affordable, subscription-based ShotSpotter can detect gunfire accurately, protect officers with increased tactical awareness, and connect police to the community while also connecting police to their mission, providing:
Real-time access to maps of shooting locations and gunshot audio
Actionable intelligence detailing the number of shooters and the number of shots fired
Pinpointed precise locations for first responders aiding victims, searching for evidence and interviewing witnesses
Real-time mobile alerts on smartphones and tablets
Elected Officials Seek Solutions to Control Gun Violence
Funding: A Cost-Effective Force Multiplier
- An elected official’s job requires balancing competing needs within the community and making tough decisions on how to use limited resources.
- The greatest need an elected official can meet is to provide a safe environment and create the conditions for healthy economic growth.
- A number of studies strongly suggest that investing in ShotSpotter makes sense in terms of incremental job creation, business vitality and increased sales.
ShotSpotter Cities Combating Gun Violence
IS REDUCING GUN CRIME A PRIORITY IN YOUR CITY?
Gun violence is not just a law enforcement problem. Reducing illegal gunfire requires joint leadership from elected officials and police chiefs. Take the first step toward a safer community by seeing how ShotSpotter has helped communities like yours.
See what a ShotSpotter program would look like in your city. Discover what impact we’re making in cities like yours. Ask us about different funding strategies.
Don’t just take our word for it. Speak with other elected officials in ShotSpotter cities and learn about its impact. Ask how to spearhead your own ShotSpotter program.