Software Engineer (Backend, Node.js)
You can make the world a safer place. We do every day.
Here at Shotspotter, we are innovators, problem solvers, and creative thinkers who believe that good people and great technology can pave the way to a brighter future for all. We're passionate about the work we do to help save lives, improve public safety & security and we are proudly one Bay Area company making a huge difference in the security enjoyed by communities across the country.
Join our diverse and agile engineering organization and make a difference.
We are looking for a web developer passionate about new and innovative technology and building large-scale and high-traffic web and mobile applications. ShotSpotter has an established customer base and a suite of high-performance applications based on a wide array of leading edge technologies. Work with a team creating cutting edge technologies & tools that benefit safety of our cities.
Enjoy a casual, creative environment where you will enjoy diversity in your projects and bring your talent into play. You will be working on exciting new development projects.
Benefits and Perks.
• For East Bay commuters, we are the last destination before you run into a complete stop in the traffic heading towards Peninsula.
• For Peninsula dwellers, this is a reverse commute.
• We are next to endless running/walking/biking trails.
• There is free shuttle connection to Bart, Caltrain and ACE
• We have free fully equipped gym on the campus and gourmet cafeteria.
• 20 days of Vacation/PTO
• Comprehensive list of Medical and Dental plans to choose from
• Delicious snacks and beverages
• Plenty of fun company parties and activities
What you will be working on:
The Shotspotter team is working on a brand new suite of web and mobile applications for notification and analysis of gunshots. To support those apps we are also building Node.js based micro services interconnected with REST APIs and messaging middleware. As a Backend Developer, you will be responsible for developing services that participate in micro service eco-system.
You will contribute to design decisions related to protocols and frameworks utilized to create highly scalable, flexible, and secure products. You will be part of of highly capable engineering team that practices agile methodology to architect, design and develop exciting products.
• Strong understanding of systems using real time interactions
• Solid understanding of an RDBMS, SQL and Network protocols
• Familiarity with Service Oriented Architecture and highly distributed systems
• Proficiency with Linux environment
• Expert level understanding of code management systems, preferably Git or SVN.
• Experience with AWS tools and services
• Experience with RabbitMQ, MongoDB, MySQL, Postgress
• Experience with continuous integration (CI) / continuous deployment systems (CD), Docker
• Bachelor’s Degree (or above) in Computer Science or related discipline is required
About ShotSpotter, Inc.
ShotSpotter is the global leader in gunfire detection and location technology. ShotSpotter's solutions help law enforcement officials and security personnel identify, locate and deter gun violence. ShotSpotter is based in Newark, California and offers its solutions on a SaaS-based subscription model to customers around the world, with current customers located in the United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and South Africa.
ShotSpotter provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, ShotSpotter complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
ShotSpotter expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of ShotSpotter's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact ShotSpotter at +1.510.794.3183 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.