Site Reliability Engineer
ShotSpotter Investigate is an investigative case management system. ShotSpotter is seeking to hire a Development Operations Engineer for our Investigate product, who will be responsible for managing the software development team. In addition to project management and technical infrastructure, this person will be working closely with product management team, development team, quality assurance and our customer success and sales team
The DevOps team is responsible for uninterrupted functioning of client production environments as well as various lower environments for development, testing and staging. The SRE will fulfill the critical role of ensuring our systems are healthy, monitored, and designed to scale. The primary responsibility of the SRE will be to work with our product development teams that are building highly scalable, microservice based solutions to containerize, deploy, configure and maintain them in the various environments. This involves designing and building system infrastructure (infrastructure as code), implementing security policies, deploying products, and ensuring uninterrupted service in a client’s production environment.
This role will have a strong focus on automation around application infrastructure deployment, and operations and leverages the philosophy of infrastructure is software and treated as a software product with an SDLC. The successful candidate ideally has experience with the infrastructure aspects of software as a service (SaaS). As a member of the SRE team, the candidate will work with development teams to help create automated pipelines and solutions required for continuous delivery in an Agile plus DevOps culture.
- Install, maintain, upgrade, and improve application and platform development, testing and production systems
- Develop and maintain automation for building infrastructure and running products
- Build automation to ensure continuous deployment
- Building and maintaining production environments with scalability, reliability, disaster recovery planning, monitoring, security, and high performance
- Create and maintain thorough technical and procedural documentation and adhere to change control process to be SOC 2 audit compliant
- Design and assist in the setup and maintenance of application monitoring and alerting
- Engage with development teams to ensure best practices are implemented – improve predictability and reliability of software releases, workflows and operating software
- Reduce mean time to recovery (MTTR) by helping troubleshoot, monitor, alert, and automating recovery
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in computer science or equivalent and 5+ years’ experience with IT Infrastructure, Networking & Security OR 10+ years of equivalent experience
- Candidate must have solid experience with deploying, maintaining, and supporting scalable cloud-based solution in a production environment
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work on an on-call basis and provide coverage during non-standard business hours including public/market holidays
- Experience with Linux use and administration
- Experience with AWS and Azure; strength in AWS over Azure
- Experience scripting in at least one of the following: BASH, Python
- Experience with DevOps environments and containerization (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code
- Experience with CI/CD processes and tools (Jenkins, Team City, Gitlab CI, GitHub Actions)
- Experience with infrastructure monitoring tools (AWS CloudWatch, Prometheus, DataDog)
- Proficient with SSH tunneling and multi-hop configurations
- Understanding of networking and network topologies
- Understanding of microservice architecture
- Familiarity with chaos engineering
- Familiarity with GitOps
- Excellent communication skills; collaborative and personable
- Excellent documentation skills for incidents, architecture diagrams, and runbooks/checklists
- Understanding general InfoSec principles, a plus but not required
- Desire to work in a fast paced, evolving, growing, dynamic environment
LOCATION: New Jersey or Remote
REPORTING TO: Managing Director or VP Engineering
ShotSpotter provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, ShotSpotter complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
ShotSpotter expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of ShotSpotter’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact ShotSpotter at +1.510.794.3183 or email@example.com for assistance.