Senior Systems Engineer
As a Systems Engineer, you will be part of a highly technical team responsible for designing, coding, testing, and deploying technology that is the foundation of the ShotSpotter gunfire detection service. You will also lead technology initiatives that enable others on the team to deliver their services with a high degree of quality. And since we are a small team, you will often be called on to mentor non-engineering staff on technical problems. We need a person who takes the initiative, who can perform a leadership role when required, and who is planning for a long-term role.
- Recommend & design new technology, perform board bring-up, support manufacture, and conduct experiments & tests to ascertain system performance and stability.
- Design and conduct performance testing in labs, wind tunnel, and field. Document tests (procedure & log), analyze results (signal processing & SQL), produce documentation, and brief the larger team on outcomes.
- Partner with our engineering, ops, and field teams to develop and elucidate technology that automates gunshot detection and also management of the system.
- Work closely with field and support teams to derive requirements for making the system’s failure modes more observable, improving the quality of remediations and RMA, thus lowering costs and improving performance.
- Help drive the move from a legacy development model to an enterprise class solution with: secure development & dev ops processes; formalized regressions & tests; and a more continuous improvement model of deployment.
- 3 or more years of experience working within a cross-functional team in a fast-paced environment. Good written and verbal communication skills are a must.
- 3 or more years of experience with Linux application development, C/C++ cross-compile and shell scripting (with bash perl, of python) is required. Yocto, Flatpak, are bonus.
- 2 or more years of experience working with networked devices is required. Socket API, cellular modem AT commands, CGI, MQTT desired. Experience with AWS IoT is a bonus.
- Experience with kernel builds, device tree, device driver development & patch is desired. Experience with ALSA is a bonus.
- Knowledge of databases, SQL queries, and data analysis is desired. A working knowledge of R is a bonus.
- Ability to design, conduct, and document conclusive experiments is required. Hands-on experience with assembling systems for test, using oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, etc., and working knowledge of FFT and other signal processing methods is a big bonus.
Location: Newark, CA
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact ShotSpotter at +1.510.794.3183 or email@example.com for assistance.