Senior DevOps Engineer
As a DevOps Engineer, you will be part of a highly technical team responsible for designing, coding and supporting software tools that are used to drive the infrastructure that is the foundation for all ShotSpotter services. Working closely with our development teams you will focus on all phases from design to development and through to maintenance.
- Partner closely with our Engineering teams to develop infrastructure tools that assist in the automation and management of the ShotSpotter service. A keen focus through the software design cycle is on scalability, observability, automation, reliability, security, and quality in AWS.
- Build and implement tools and frameworks to automate our system and software deployments.
- Lead technology initiatives that enable others to deliver their services to our customer with a minimal amount of friction and high degree of quality.
- Deliver internal Infrastructure services such as monitoring, logging, data services to our internal users.
- Responsible for building and maintaining the infrastructure components used to deliver the ShotSpotter service.
- 5 or more years operational experience with Linux system administration.
- 3 or more years experience with Configuration Management and Infrastructure Management systems such as CloudFormation, Ansible, Chef, Puppet, or others.
- Practical and demonstrable skill with an administrative language such as Python, Bash, Ruby. Knowledge of node.js beneficial.
- 2 or more years experience with large-scale AWS and traditional data center deployments.
- Deep knowledge of core AWS services such as IAM, Route53, SES, VPC, EKS, EC2, S3, and CloudFormation.
- Hands-on experience running and managing workloads in a containerized environment preferably utilizing EKS or Kubernetes.
- Hands-on experience with system and application metric collection and alerting services such as Zabbix, Graphite, Grafana, Prometheus or others. A keen focus on what makes a system observable.
- Understanding of and experience with continuous integration and continuous deployment patterns and tools such as Jenkins and Rundeck.
- A strong understanding of modern system, network and service-related security best practices.
- Firm technical grasp on the usual suspect services and protocols such as DNS, LDAP, SMTP, HTTP, TCP/IP, SSL, etc.
- Solid understanding of networking and distributed computing concepts.
- Superior troubleshooting skills.
- Willingness to stand in an on-call Tier 3 rotation as part of the engineering experts supporting our 24/7 operation.
- Bonus Skills
- Hands on experience with non-relational databases like MongoDB, or Cassandra.
- Hands on experience with relational databases including, MSSQL, MySQL or Postgres.
- Experience operating real-time analytics infrastructures such as Storm, Hadoop, HBase, or Amazon EMR.
Location: Newark, CA
Reports to: Sr. Director, Technology
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact ShotSpotter at +1.510.794.3183 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.