Director, Field Engineering Project Management
This role is responsible for managing and directing the work of Field Engineering Project Managers (FEPM) and providing managerial oversight for multiple projects. Responsibilities include monitoring project scopes, costs, schedules, staffing, communications and contractual deliverables. This role will also be responsible for directly managing a number of deployment projects as a Project Manager. Field Engineering Project Management is responsible for planning and executing ShotSpotter service deployment and expansion projects for customers from contract to successful deployment.
Success in this position will require thorough understanding of the entire operation from bringing new customers on line, ShotSpotter hardware and software functionality, strong project management fundamentals, and excellent communication and negotiation skills. It will also require experience in managing, motivating and coaching staff.
Responsibilities also include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ensure that project and department milestones and goals are met on time and in budget.
- Evolve and/or maintain standards, processes, and tools used for effective project scheduling and acoustic array design.
- Track “at risk metrics” and facilitate actions to keep projects on track.
- Establish data collection and reporting processes to capture key metrics of project activities and provide project status reporting.
- Provide feasibility feedback to Sales on proposed Respond coverage areas for new customers and expansions.
- Review and approve all acoustic array designs
- Work collaboratively with Customer Support to ensure high performing and cost effective array designs for new/expansion coverage zones as well as addressing performance issues in existing coverage areas.
- Monitoring and tracking staff project load to determine appropriate level of staffing needs
- Hiring, onboarding and training of new FE Project Managers as needed
- For directly managed projects:
- Work closely with Sales, Engineering, Customer Success, and Customer Service to review contracts, determine deliverables, and identify resource requirements and project risks.
- Create and maintain project plans, schedules, and budgets. Proactively manage risk and change to keep projects on track. Manage projects to budgeted guidelines and timeframes.
- Design ShotSpotter sensor arrays and conduct surveys in coverage area to identify and select suitable locations for sensor and communications layer devices.
- Work with customer liaisons, community leaders, public officials, commercial businesses and other resources as needed to obtain site permissions as efficiently as possible.
- Create project bill of materials and installation schedule, working closely with Field Service & Logistics Manager to ensure cost effective delivery of hardware and installation resources. Supervise network installation/conversion, test, and activation.
- Assess customer network and systems infrastructure to understand security requirements, deployment challenges, and coordinate/assist with remote software installations.
- Work with Engineering and Network Operations to determine optimal network configuration and provision hosted and remote services as needed.
- Create and deliver project documentation, including regular project updates and status reports, sensor network layouts, as-built documentation, and customer acceptance documents.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- 1-3 years supervisory or front-line management experience
- 5+ years project management experience in a technical domain, for example IT, network implementation/deployment, telecommunications outside plant/construction, etc.
- Strong project management fundamentals, including scheduling (PERT, GANTT), risk management, change management, budgeting and cost control.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Able to deal with ambiguity, providing clarity where confusion or chaos is found. Must be able to interact well with other departments, customers, and C-level executives, especially under stress. Win-win negotiation skills.
- Working knowledge and hands-on experience with computer networking, radio and cellular communications, IP communication, firewalls, routers/switches, VPN, Windows systems, web applications, and SaaS highly desirable.
- Proficiency with MS Project, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Google Earth required. Familiarity with CRM systems (e.g. Salesforce), online collaboration tools (e.g. Confluence, Sharepoint), and bug tracking systems a plus.
- Self-motivated, self-directed with excellent time management skills and ability to handle and adapt to changing priorities and special projects.
- Passionate about and committed to customer service.
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable, applicable industry experience.
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout the U.S. (up to 50% of the time) required; some international travel may be possible.
- Primary work location will be employee’s home office.
Reporting To: SVP Customer Success and Field Engineering
Location: Flexible (HQ in Fremont, DC office, or Remote)
Note: The company reserves exclusive right in its sole discretion to modify, adjust, delete, add or otherwise change the above at any time.
ShotSpotter provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, ShotSpotter complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
ShotSpotter expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of ShotSpotter’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact ShotSpotter at +1.510.794.3183 or email@example.com for assistance.