Forensics Services Manager – Sr. Expert Witness (Remote)
Based on expert-level technical and procedural knowledge of ShotSpotter’s system, the Forensic Services Manager – Sr. Expert Witness serves as an expert in analyzing ShotSpotter’s data and performing a forensic examination of such data related to detection of gunshots in ShotSpotter’s coverage areas.
Forensic Services Manager – Sr. Expert Witness is responsible for critical examination of ShotSpotter evidentiary data and reports using technical facts and factual data to help improve understanding of a shooting incident. The Forensic Services Manager is responsible for creating Detailed Forensic Reports (DFR), a court-admissible report of ShotSpotter detected gunshot incidents to aid trial attorneys in their presentation of the shooting incident to a jury through the use of our forensic services and products. The Forensics Manager – Sr. Expert Witness will serve as an expert in court, supporting the ShotSpotter evidence.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following
- Maintain an expert level of technical and operational knowledge of ShotSpotter technology and processes. Provide technical and operational guidance to the Technical Support team as necessary.
- Remain current on all ShotSpotter’s processes, procedures and policies including but not limited to security, privacy, and use of ShotSpotter’s tools and systems.
- Provide investigative and consultative support for gunshot incidents. This includes developing Detailed Forensic Reports (DFR) for use in prosecutions or official communications and appearing as an Expert Witness.
- Conduct detailed investigations into incidents where customers need additional explanation or support. This includes expanded reports requested by customers and the preparation and support of official DFRs. Generating these reports requires excellent hearing to review audio files, analytical skills to review and report the incidents, strong written skills to document the findings and presentation skills as an expert witness in possible court appearances when required.
- Prepare material and deliver Forensics training, related to ShotSpotter system and services.
- Serve as an Expert Witness in court, testifying to ShotSpotter evidence, based on the Detailed Forensic Report(s) created by ShotSpotter.
- Create and maintain internal and external documentation and presentations that explain, support and describe ShotSpotter’s system, technology and processes from a technical and forensics perspective.
- Assist with responding to Subpoenas, Depositions, and other forensic and legal requests.
- Update incidents with confirmations and any additional input or noted corrections, based on detailed examination and analysis of the incident.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong listening, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong investigative, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Must be comfortable and proficient in public speaking and public presentation
- General knowledge of legal concepts and presenting in a court of law
- Strong organizational and presentation skills
- Ability to utilize sound judgment and technical expertise to create forensic analysis related to ShotSpotter systems and incidents.
- Ability to independently manage multiple priorities
- The ability to work effectively with other members of the support team and across all levels of staff and management
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in technical support, or other technical positions
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with Forensic analysis.
- Experience with Salesforce or other similar incident/trouble ticket tracking system
- Experience with MS SQL for reporting and data merges
- Must be willing to be on call and work occasional off hours and weekends
- Must be able to travel to visit ShotSpotter offices, attend training, visit customers or appear as an Expert Witness.
- Prior law enforcement and investigative experience strongly desired
- Moderate knowledge of firearms strongly desired
- Must be able to complete the required training and certification process prior to serving as an expert and creating a DFR or serving as an Expert Witness
- Must complete at least 10 hours of training on an annual basis on ShotSpotter tools and techniques, and at least 5 hours of relevant external training toward maintaining and enhancing his/her forensic and/or analytical skills.
- This position requires travel.
Note: The Company reserves exclusive right in its sole discretion to modify, adjust, delete, add or otherwise change the above at any time.
ShotSpotter provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, ShotSpotter complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
ShotSpotter expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of ShotSpotter’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact ShotSpotter at +1.510.794.3183 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.