Field Technician (Chicago and NY)
ShotSpotter is the leader in gunshot detection, location and forensic analysis helping law enforcement officials identify, locate and deter gun violence. ShotSpotter solutions are trusted by more than 90 cities to help make their communities, campuses and facilities safer.
The ShotSpotter Field Technician will install, upgrade, and maintain ShotSpotter systems and equipment in the field. The Field Technician will work primarily in their local market and surrounding areas but will also travel outside of these areas, as needed. The Field Technician will work in accordance with defined specifications, technical standards, and maintain requirements for health, safety and quality at the highest levels. The work environment involves physical risks and hazardous conditions.
The following reflects ShotSpotter’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons:
- Responsible for the installation and maintenance of ShotSpotter field equipment in and outside of local area.
- Follow all state and federal safety regulations (OSHA, local codes, etc.) while working in an efficient and productive manner.
- Schedule installs/service with property owner – call/email/text appointment for repairs and installs.
- Perform site surveys for new installations to determine the best positioning/mounting of the equipment for strongest signal reception and safety.
- Create/provide detailed installation instructions/drawings, standards, guidelines and procedures, where needed, including submitting for permitting where required
- Interprets various documents (e.g. blueprints, diagrams, manufacturer specifications, etc.) to ensure proper installation of ShotSpotter equipment using technical expertise, and knowledge of blueprints and diagrams.
- Operate machinery/equipment as needed (lift, bucket truck, etc.)
- Responsible for acquiring new locations and permissions for installation when original locations are lost due to access or physical limitations.
- Update and close work orders for ShotSpotter installation and maintenance, including equipment verification checkout
- Work with Manager and Field Service team to set daily/weekly goals, resource planning, and installation/repair schedules.
- Perform other field activities as provided by Management.
- Operate and maintain company truck, as required. If truck is not provided, technician must own a vehicle capable of storing/transporting equipment, materials and tools, including large ladders
- Must be a licensed/certified electrician and have solid experience with an understanding of high voltage to low voltage wiring, color coding, weatherproofing, grounding, device-mounting, etc. (as it pertains to the job at hand).
- Must have 3 – 5 years as a licensed electrician, working in a related field (preferred)
- Required to work at heights installing ShotSpotter equipment/materials on top of commercial and/or government buildings, private homes, utility and/or light poles, etc. including mounts, power supplies, and solar panels/equipment, where applicable.
- Experience in the mobile, electrical or cable installation field preferred.
- Must be able to properly use and care for various hand tools (and heavy-duty tools at times).
- Must be able to travel – approximately 25-35%.
- Candidates must be willing and able to work on high elevation rooftops, poles, etc.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Must have basic computer/mobile device skills including but not limited to Microsoft Office software. Experience with ServiceMax is a plus.
- Must be able to work and complete tasks independently, both in an office environment and outside in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to take direction, follow instructions and accurately complete detailed forms and reports.
- Able to recognize safety hazards and perform all duties in a safe manner.
- Physical Requirements – While performing the duties of this job, the Technician is frequently required and must be able to do the following:
- Climb 500 vertical feet per day in all weather conditions, year-round.
- Stand for long periods of time on a ladder.
- Lift/carry up to 75 lbs.
- Must be a self-starter and have strong oral and written communications skills.
- Ground floor access for equipment and dedicated off-street parking at technician residence is a plus.
Locations: Chicago, New York,
Reports to: Sr. Director, Network & Field Operations
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact ShotSpotter at +1.510.794.3183 or email@example.com for assistance.