Director, Network & Field Operations
ShotSpotter’s Director of Network & Field Operations is responsible for installation, remote monitoring and management, field service and maintenance of ShotSpotter acoustic sensor networks across the U.S. and internationally. Reporting to the SVP Operations, you will work closely with ShotSpotter Project Managers, Purchasing/Supply Chain, Customer Service and third-party suppliers and service partners to forecast, plan, schedule, and allocate both human resources (installation and field service technicians) and hardware inventory to meet growing demand for ShotSpotter network installation and maintenance services.
The Director will provide strategic direction and day-to-day leadership for the Network Operations and Field Service team and be personally involved in the prioritization of field operations and resource allocation. In addition to a strong technical foundation, this person will be a strategic thinker, an adept leader and developer of people, skillful budget manager, and strong team player. This person will be plugged in to the health and performance of the network on a daily basis and will drive the systematic measurement and analysis of service levels and performance data to ensure consistently high Quality of Service. S/he will also lead the development and adoption of strategies, tools, systems and practices that will allow us to serve today’s customers with excellence, both domestically and internationally, and scale effectively for future growth.
- Supervisory Management and Team Leadership: Hire, train, lead and manage performance of a team of network and field operations professionals committed to high quality installation services and service assurance for a mission critical public safety network.
- Installation and Service Team Leadership: Direct and manage performance of a small team of Field Service Managers, Field Systems Managers, service technicians and a network of 3rd party contractors in the installation and maintenance of ShotSpotter acoustic sensor networks. Develop and manage performance standards, best practices, and documentation to ensure high quality work. Develop and maintain expertise in all aspects of ShotSpotter installations, including electrical, cabling, structural mounts, and wireless radio and cellular network configuration, testing and troubleshooting. Collaborate with ShotSpotter Project Managers on site surveys and installation and materials planning.
- Installation Support: Ensure proficient installation and network activation support for new installations and repair service, including remote configuration and testing of equipment, network diagnostics, and remote support for firing tests and sensor calibration, as needed, by phone, for installation techs and project managers in the field.
- Network Management/Service Assurance: Establish and ensure effective remote monitoring and administration of distributed network systems comprised of remote network devices, wireless and wired communications networks, and acoustic sensors to ensure secure, stable operations that meet or exceed our SLAs. Monitor, teach, and support effective triage/prioritization, troubleshooting and resolution of remote network, hardware and software problems. Resolve complex problems using a combination of masterful techniques and strong technical skills (e.g. advanced wireless networking, IP networking, Windows and linux systems). Manage remote software distributions and updates.
- Materials Management & Logistics: Working with ShotSpotter’s Finance and Purchasing department, direct forecasting and allocation of SST’s physical inventory and maintain asset records for all hardware and sensor emplacements in the field. Develop and manage RMA and field service replacement processes. Develop and maintain hardware and service purchasing forecast to support installation, maintenance and repair of the ShotSpotter sensor networks in the field. Coordinate and manage shipping and receiving, storage, and kitting as of equipment with contract manufacturers, suppliers and field service personnel. Develop business processes and tools to optimize the reliability, predictability, and cost-effectiveness of these activities.
- Vendor/Partner Relationship Management: Create and manage Statements of Work (SOW) and Service Level Agreements (SLA) for installation and field service partners. Lead ongoing evaluation and periodic review of vendor performance. Review and manage invoices, payments, and resolution of disputes, as necessary. Our goal is to cultivate long term partnerships with select vendors and strategic partners that outperform the field.
- RCA/Continuous Improvement: Drive systemic trend analysis of network incidents and root cause analysis for severe or chronic problems. Work with Engineering, vendors and team members to identify and resolve chronic problems in device performance, installation or network management practices, or supply chain, and instigate changes to improve performance over time.
- Reporting and Business Intelligence: Create, update and publish regular status reports on installation and field service activity and service level performance. Drive the transformation of operations data into actionable business intelligence.
- Other job-related duties and project participation as required.
- Must be a self-starter. Able to explore the varied systems and networks we work with daily and quickly become an expert. Comfortable boot-strapping, and able to pass that skill to others.
- Team leadership experience required; able to motivate, develop and mentor employees and develop/foster strong working relationships across the organization.
- Installation and Field Service Management
- 5+ years direct experience managing installation and field service of wired and/or wireless communications equipment (i.e. point to point radio, cellular, satellite) or similar networked equipment in outdoor commercial, industrial and residential settings.
- Expertise in structured cabling, electrical systems, standards and codes, and light duty construction. Mechanical or electrical engineering background highly desirable.
- High standards for quality workmanship, with a strong sense of practicality. Willing and able to make intelligent tradeoffs to get the job done without compromising reliability or safety. Commitment to good documentation.
- Aggressive in pursuit of ways to improve field technician productivity and quality of work through tools, technology and continuous evaluation of work performed. Proven ability to learn from experience and create innovate solutions to recurring problems.
- Experience installing, configuring and troubleshooting network equipment (i.e. routers, switches, firewalls) highly desirable.
- Vendor Relationship Management
- 3+ years logistics coordination and materials management experience, including transportation (ground, air, ocean), freight/shipping, storage/warehousing, RMA, etc.
- 3+ years experience in purchasing and vendor/supplier management, with an emphasis on electronics or telecommunications highly desirable. Experience with contract manufacturing a plus.
- Successful, past experience negotiating and managing vendor contracts and SLA’s required. Experience writing and managing RFP/RFQ’s.
- Working knowledge of Salesforce.com and ServiceMax highly desirable; experience developing, implementing, and/or configuring work force, inventory management, and network management systems and business processes highly desirable.
- Network Management:
- Systematic and disciplined troubleshooting and problem solving skills, with the ability to teach others. Natural inclination to clearly describe problems in terms of symptoms, causes and effects. Passionate about getting to and fixing the root cause of problems.
- 5+ years of experience and demonstrated competence with remote monitoring and administration of a distributed network of 500+ nodes, including firewalls, Windows and Linux systems, using IP-based network management tools like Nagios, Zabbix, MRTG, etc. for remote monitoring, troubleshooting, and network administration.
- Expert knowledge of best practices in incident/problem reporting, tracking and resolution, including role-based workflow, data collection and analysis, escalation procedures, and reporting. Salesforce.com administration experience highly desirable.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of wireless (900Mhz, 5Ghz, 3G/4G/LTE, etc.) and Ethernet (Cat5, PoE, Juniper and Cisco switches) networking highly desirable.
- Strong knowledge of IP network protocols, applications, and data formats, including HTTP/HTTPS, SSL, FTP, RTP, DHCP, SNMP, and Telnet highly desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Able to deal with ambiguity, providing clarity where confusion or chaos is found. Must be able to interact well with other departments and C-level executives, especially under stress. Win-win negotiation skills.
- Working knowledge of capital budgeting process; experience developing and managing budgets.
- Proficiency with MS Office tools (and mastery of Excel), smart phones, required. Deep experience with with CRM systems (esp. Salesforce and ServiceMax), online collaboration tools (e.g. Atlassian Confluence and Jira), and bug tracking systems a plus.
- Self-motivated, self-directed with excellent time management skills and ability to handle and adapt to changing priorities and special projects.
- Thrive in an informal, startup culture… while serving as a role model to others in terms of reliability and accountability.
- Grace under pressure.
- Bachelors degree or comparable, applicable industry experience.
- Occasional domestic travel may be required; some international travel may be possible.
Location: Newark, CA
Reports to: SVP, Operations
Note: the Company reserves exclusive right in its sole discretion to modify, adjust, delete, add or otherwise change the above at any time
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact ShotSpotter at +1.510.794.3183 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.