ShotSpotter’s Corporate Controller will supervise the Company’s accounting personnel while managing day-to-day accounting and compliance activities. Reporting to the CFO and being the owner of key accounting and finance areas, you will have high visibility to senior executive management and in this role, you will play a key leadership role in the overall Accounting and Finance organization around change management, process and controls improvement, scaling accounting and company infrastructure and operations, which will be critical to future growth.
- Accounting Team Management: Leading and manage the accounting and reporting team through its day-to-day operations and quarterly filing requirements. This includes supervision of various areas e.g. payroll, long-lived assets, prepayments, etc. and hands-on contribution in other areas e.g. revenue, commissions, compliance etc.
- Month-end close: Maintain oversight on the month-end close; identify and spearhead process improvements to develop an efficient month-end close process. Review monthly key reconciliations including revenue, goodwill, cash, payroll and equity.
- International subsidiaries: Maintain oversight on the Company international accounting and tax operations in foreign subsidiaries.
- Revenue Accounting: Review sales contracts, review monthly revenue recognition (ASC 606) memos writeups and reconciliations.
- Stock-based compensation: Administer the Company’s equity incentive plan and ESPP, oversee stock-based compensation accounting. Conduct info sessions, ESPP enrollment, process grants, vestings, purchases and review related calculations and schedules.
- Technical Accounting: Determine appropriate accounting treatment for new transactions and write technical memos. Evaluate and implement new accounting pronouncements.
- Financial Planning & Analysis: Responsible for budget, forecasting and analysis on actuals vs budget/forecasts
- SEC Filings and External Audit Support: Maintain oversight on annual audit, quarterly reviews and filing of required SEC Forms.
- SOX Controls: Maintain SOX compliant internal control policies and design and implement new controls where appropriate. Ensure Company has the appropriate controls in place, and monitor the testing and operating effectiveness of the controls.
- Business Compliance: Work closely with other departments to achieve and maintain compliance in various aspects, including assisting in sales contracts related paperwork, business license renewals, insurance requirements, regulatory audits and prepare debt covenant reports.
- Tax: Work closely with our external tax firm to ensure we have the right policies and accounting in place, including transfer pricing, tax provision and tax returns
- Must be a self-starter. Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with firm deadlines and competing priorities.
- BA/BS in Finance, Accounting, or related field of study
- Minimum 6 years work experience in public accounting. Experience with a Big 4 firm is a plus.
- Minimum 4-6 years direct work experience managing various G/L operations. Team leadership experience required; demonstrated ability to motivate and develop team members to achieve accounting excellence.
- Minimum 3-5 years work experience in a public company.
- Strong technical accounting background.
- Strong working knowledge of ASC 606 required. Able to apply the five-step revenue recognition framework to various service contracts.
- Good understanding of the audit process. Able to drive audit requests and issues to completion.
- Good understanding of consolidation and foreign currency remeasurement and translation.
- Good understanding of tax and equity
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written English communication skills
- Detail-oriented with high degree of accuracy and exactitude
- High technical aptitude with MS-Excel and other software tools; experience with Netsuite is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and solve problems
- Active CPA mandatory
- Experience in stock-based compensation administration/accounting mandatory
- Experience in tax-related matters a plus.
- Experience in SEC Reporting and SOX mandatory
- Experience in performing technical accounting research and drafting accounting memos mandatory.
Reports to: CFO
Location: Newark, CA
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact ShotSpotter at +1.510.794.3183 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.