5,703,835: System for effective control of urban environment security
- Type: domestic
- Application Number: 08/627323
- Publication Date: 1997-12-30T00:00:00
- Filing Date: 1996-04-01T00:00:00
- Abstract: A security system for detecting a gunshot event. A communication link, and a number of pole units are arranged in a dense grid. Each one of the pole units includes a microphone and a signal conditioning and thresholding unit coupled to the microphone. The signal conditioning and thresholding unit outputs a detection signal in response to an event when an output signal from the microphone exceeds a peak background average. A data acquisition and signal processing unit is coupled to the signal conditioning and thresholding unit for discriminating gunshot events. The data acquisition and signal processing unit remains in a powered down stand-by mode so as to conserve energy until a detection signal is received. The data acquisition and signal processing unit includes apparatus for identifying a gunshot event by measuring an initial pulse time duration and subsequent pulse pattern features, and a communication interface coupled at an input to the data acquisition and signal processing unit. A central processor is coupled to the communication link so as to receive data from the pole units where the central processor and the pole units operate so as to detect and locate gunshot events sensed by one or more of the pole units.
- More Information: USPTO record