Director of Customer & Technical Support
The Director of Customer & Technical Support will own all aspects of customer service and technical support for ShotSpotter customers and third party service providers. SST Customer Support is always available to assist customers with a range of consultative, advisory, technical support, and forensic data services. Our Customer Support professionals are experts in gunshot incident analysis, acoustic data analysis and processing, virtual service management, systems integration, wireless communications, network and systems support, courtroom testimony, and more. We are passionate about our mission to help fight gun violence wherever it occurs, and we are proud our service. The Director will provide strategic direction and day-to-day leadership for the Customer Support team and be personally involved in customer relationship management. In addition to a strong technical foundation, this person will be a strategic thinker, an adept leader and developer of people, skillful budget manager, and strong team player. This person will be plugged in to the health and performance of the network on a daily basis and will drive the systematic measurement and analysis of service levels and performance data to ensure consistently high Quality of Service. S/he will also lead the development and adoption of strategies, tools, systems and practices that will allow us to serve today’s customers with excellence, both domestically and internationally, and scale effectively for future growth. Specific responsibilities:
• Supervisory Management and Team Leadership: Hire, train, lead and manage performance of a team of technical support professionals in providing 24x7x365 customer support and network operations services to SST’s customers, partners and third party service providers.
• Strategic and Tactical Operations Planning: Work with colleagues across business functions to plan, prioritize, evaluate and deliver the service capabilities required to meet business and customer commitments. Continually assess team performance based on sound metrics and make adjustments as needed to continually improve. Plan and drive internal development of reliable operations support systems, practices and standards.
• Customer Service: Oversee and provide inbound and outbound customer service for SST’s customers, partners and third party service providers. Ensure reliable systems for incident reporting, trouble ticketing, tracking and reporting problems are in place and effectively used, and that SLA’s for response and problem resolution are met or exceeded. Develop and cultivate strong relationships with senior customer leadership.
• Service Assurance: Establish and ensure effective remote monitoring and administration of distributed network systems comprised of a hosted, web-based services (SaaS/PaaS) and remote network devices, computers, and acoustic sensors to ensure secure, stable operations that meet or exceed our SLAs. Manage remote software distributions and updates.
• Technical Support/Problem Solving: Monitor, teach, and support effective triage/prioritization, troubleshooting and resolution of application, network, system, and remote hardware and software problems. Resolve complex problems using a combination of masterful techniques and strong technical skills (e.g. advanced wireless networking, IP networking, Windows and linux systems). Drive systemic trend analysis of network incidents and root cause analysis for severe or chronic problems.
• Installation Support: Ensure proficient installation and network activation support for new installations and repair service, including remote configuration and testing of equipment, network diagnostics, and remote support for firing tests and sensor calibration, as needed, by phone, for installation techs and project managers in the field.
• Change Control: Oversee change management for production network and site hardware, software and configuration updates with affected parties and maintain Change Control System for same. Establish policies and systems for distributing software and systems changes in the field, including compliance checks and system audits.
• Reporting and Business Intelligence: Oversee the creation, update and publishing of regular status reports on network statistics, health and service performance. Drive the transformation of operations data into actionable business intelligence.
• Budget Administration: Develop and manage capital and expense budgets for the Support Operations department, with bottom line responsibility for meeting budget commitments and optimizing return on the Operations investment.
• Collaborate effectively with management and other departments as needed.
• Other job-related duties and project participation as required.
• Must be a self-starter – Able to explore the varied systems and networks we work with on a daily basis and quickly become an expert. Comfortable boot-strapping, and able to pass that skill to others.
• 5+ years management experience in a highly technical, customer support/network operations environment with responsibility for 24x7x365 coverage. Strong people development skills, as evidenced through successful development/advancement of past direct reports.
• Systematic and disciplined troubleshooting and problem resolution skills, with the ability to teach this to others. Natural inclination to clearly describe problems in terms of symptoms, causes and effects. Passionate about getting to and fixing the root cause of problems.
• 5+ years experience and demonstrated competence with remote monitoring and administration of a distributed network of 500+ nodes, including firewalls, Windows and Linux systems, using IP-based network management tools like Nagios, Zabbix, MRTG, etc. for remote monitoring, troubleshooting, and network administration.
• Expert knowledge of best practices in incident/problem reporting, tracking and resolution, including role-based workflow, data collection and analysis, escalation procedures, and reporting. Past experience designing, configuring or implementing a trouble ticketing system and practices required, including RMA processing. Salesforce.com administration experience highly desirable.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills. Able to deal with ambiguity, providing clarity where confusion or chaos is found. Must be able to interact well with other departments and C-level executives, especially under stress. Win-win negotiation skills.
• Demonstrated working knowledge of wireless networking (900Mhz, 5Ghz, EVDO, 3G, LTE, etc.) networking. Knowledge of Juniper and Cisco switches and VPN highly desirable.
• Strong knowledge of IP network protocols, applications, and data formats, including HTTP/HTTPS, SSL, FTP, RTP, DHCP, SNMP, and Telnet required.
• Knowledge or experience with audio networks and technologies highly desirable.
• Experience establishing and managing international customer service and technical support operations using local third parties, with emphasis on Latin America, required.
• Self-motivated, self-directed with excellent time management skills and ability to handle and adapt to changing priorities and special projects.
• Passionate about and committed to customer service.
• Thrive in an informal, startup culture.
• A deep and abiding sense of curiosity.
• Grace under pressure.
• BS in technical field or comparable, applicable industry experience.
Note: the Company reserves exclusive right in its sole discretion to modify, adjust, delete, add or otherwise change the above at any time.
*** Please include a cover letter summarizing why you are a great candidate as well as your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org ***
SST, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any qualified employee or qualified applicant for employment on the basis of the fact or perception of a person’s race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, lawful source of income, age, height, weight, past or present membership in the military service, familial status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, domestic partner status, marital status, disability or AIDS/HIV status, or association with members of such protected classes, or in retaliation for opposition to discrimination against such classes.