SST 2016 National Gunfire Index - Illegal Gunfire continues to be an issue for U.S Urban Cities
ShotSpotter has released the 2016 National Gunfire Index (NGI), an analysis based on gunfire data aggregated from 72 cities across the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands). The number of gunfire incidents has increased year over year -- In 2016, ShotSpotter published nearly 75,000 gunfire incidents in U.S. cities compared to 54,699 published incidents in 2015. This data confirms that illegal gunfire remains an issue for many communities.
How to use the NGI
We invite you to use this NGI report as a tool to better understand gunfire trends in communities, while also comparing the gun violence incident stats to other ShotSpotter monitored cities.
How the National Gunfire Index (NGI) is Compiled
The 2016 National Gunfire Index Report details a comprehensive analysis and overview of previously unknown instances of gun violence, which continues to be of value to law enforcement agencies, city planners, politicians, and the media.
• The NGI report is based on ShotSpotter cities that had ShotSpotter Flex deployed for more than 4/5 of the year.
• The 72 cities that were analyzed had a total coverage area of 305.0 square miles with a median coverage area of 3.1 square miles.
Gunfire facts included in the 2016 National Gunfire Index include:
• Total number of ShotSpotter gunfire incidents in the U.S. for 2016
• Busiest day of gunfire for total ShotSpotter published alerts
• Busiest hour of gunfire for total ShotSpotter published alerts
• Busiest day of gunfire – by City
• Busiest hour of gunfire – by City
• 2016 rate of gunfire per square mile in city areas covered by ShotSpotter (medium, median, maximum)
• Average number of rounds per reported incident by region
• Single incident with largest round of gunfire - 65 published gunfire incidents on December 3. (Note: hear the audio on our website landing page)
Gunfire Rates by Region
This year the rates of gunfire per region were as follows:
• West - 126.8
• Midwest - 380.5
• South - 224.6
• Northeast - 71.7
• Caribbean - 104.3
See the full regional map, visit: http://www.shotspotter.com/2016NGI#us-map-incidents
Review and download the 2016 NGI, from our website landing page: http://www.shotspotter.com/2016NGI
Read and review the 2016 National Gunfire Index press release here: